I love butternut squash. This recipe was so good and so simple, it falls into the “why didn’t I think of that?” category. Please make this, you won’t regret it.
My pictures aren’t nearly as pretty as the original, so I’ll show you Erin’s of Naturally Ella.
Twice Baked Butternut Squash Stuffed with Quinoa and Gorgonzola
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium shallots (or sub red onion, like I did)
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water or broth (I prefer to always cook quinoa in broth)
- 1/2 cup gorgonzola cheese, plus extra for topping
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400˚. Slice butternut squash in half and scoop out seeds. Place each half cut side down in a 9×13 pan and pour 1/2″ of water in the bottom. Place in oven and bake until tender, about 45-60 minutes, depending on the size of your squash. Once done, remove and set aside.
- Rinse quinoa and set aside. In a medium pan heat olive oil over medium low heat. Dice shallots, add to oil, and saute until shallots are fragrant. Stir in quinoa and toast lightly. Add cooking liquid. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer at let cook until water is absorbed, 12-15 minutes.
- While quinoa cooks, scoop out butternut squash, leaving a 1/4″-1/2″ on the sides and bottom. Drain water from pan and return butternut squash to the pan, cut side up.
- Mash butternut squash and stir in gorgonzola cheese. Once quinoa is done, add it to the butternut squash. Taste and add salt if need be.
- Scoop filling evenly into butternut squash halves. Sprinkle with gorgonzola cheese and return to oven. Let bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese has melted and the tops begin to brown. Remove from oven and serve (maybe cut in half, if you’re working with bigger squash).